Thursday, September 13, 2012

Big Star

One of my favorite places in Chicago, not only for the food, but for the atmosphere, as well, is Big Star. Built a couple years ago in the old Pontiac Cafe space in Wicker Park, it has quickly become one of the most crowded places in town. Waits can be really long (we recently waited two hours for a table) but we came straight from work, put our name in at 5, gave the host our number, walked around to the awesome stores on Milwaukee Ave and sipped on some cocktails at nearby Rodan. We were seated by 7 - perfect timing for our bellies, which were ready to be filled with delicious tacos.
Becky and I had drinks at Rodan around the corner from Big Star while we waited to be seated. This bar has been a favorite since I was the tender age of 21. Normally, I order beer wherever I go, but cocktails are made so well in Chicago right now, I had to try the Ginger Hibiscus Margarita, which was fantastic and strong. Becky had the Lychee Royale, which has been on the menu as long as I've been coming here. It's lychee juice and Cava, a Spanish sparkling wine.
Big Star has a pretty small menu, which means they can focus more on doing everything well. I've tried almost every single thing on it, except for that hot dog, which is on deck.
My favorite drink to order here is a chelada, an ice filled glass with a salted rim, lime juice, topped off with Tecate. It is a pretty refreshing drink for a hot summer day and super easy to make at home (which I have many times).
Since I've been coming here there is only one kind of taco I crave and that is the taco al pastor. Al pastor, or 'shepherd style,' is a Mexican dish with middle-eastern influences. Seasoned pork is roasted on a vertical spit all day. Usually, there's a pineapple at the top of the spit and as the spit heats up, the juices run down the meat tenderizing and seasoning it. It is by far my favorite Mexican meal and I crave it pretty much every other day. Not going to lie, I dream about this stuff.
If you ever find yourself in a taqueria with a vertical spit order this on corn tortillas with cilantro and onions. You will not be disappointed.
They make great frijoles charros (stewed pinto beans with bacon and poblano peppers), too.

I am a sucker for anything pickled. You can get this whole bowl of tangy, spicy pickled vegetables on the side for an extra buck. Done and done.
Queso fundido, a melted cheese, poblano, chorizo fondue, is a must.
Kickin' back on one of the best patios in the city is the best way to spend a late Chicago summer night.

No comments:

Post a Comment