Friday, August 10, 2012

Connie's Diner (Formerly Phil Rohrer's) in Two Rivers, Wisconsin


My gal pals and I took a trip to Door County last weekend (more on that in the next post). I've been up there a handful of times since grade school, but one particular trip with my brother and his wife, had us stopping at this 50 something year old small town diner called Phil Rohrer's along the way. We got burgers for like three bucks and because my affinity for greasy spoons in Small Town USA abounds, I knew I had to get back here, like stat. Well, stat became about a decade and in that decade Phil Rohrer retired and Connie took over. I may spend a lot of time going to gourmet restaurants and cooking with unusual ingredients but I am a sucker for dives who believes that therein lies the lifeblood of America. If you want to truly know America you must visit its small town diners. Connie's Diner, located about 3 hours north of Chicago, is one of them.
We arrived with empty bellies and salivating tastebuds at around lunchtime, settled down in a booth, and studied the menu.
Fresh caught fish beckoned from the specials board.
I ordered the classic, a griddle burger slathered in mayonnaise on a toasted bun. Sometimes you've gotta go for simplicity.
This is the coconut shrimp Nina ordered.
Jessie ordered the lake perch.  

 And I...well, I certainly never said there was going to be anything healthy about this place. They are famous for their "raw chips and gravy," which are freshly fried thin potato chips in a brown gravy. And surprisingly delicious. I have no idea what is in that brown gravy and I don't think I want to know.  

 I often think this decor is overdone or ends up looking like a contrived 50's diner. Back when it was Phil Rohrer's it didn't have the kitsch, which was part of the charm for me.

Our waitress did all the cooking for our table herself and brought us our food one by one as it was finished.
 To finish the meal off I ordered a slice of delicious homemade custard pie and Jessie ordered the red velvet cake.








No comments:

Post a Comment